Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A bit of Everything...

I have to tell you, it’s been like torture for me around here the past few days. Why? Because everyone in the house has been sick with some sort of funk except me! I’m usually the first to go – the first to test out the funk and then pass it along. This time, however, I’m last. I know it’s inevitable so I’ve just been sitting and waiting and that is torture. In fact, I feel like my body has been fighting something for the past two days. It’s probably a mind over matter issue at this point. I’m surprised to report that I feel OK today. I know I’m going to get it…it’s just waiting for the most inopportune moment…

Anyway, Linc is still down with Chris’ cold but it’s nothing more than a cold at this time. He seems fine, aside from the gross nose. Ava came down with something seemingly different and it landed us in the ER for 4 hours on Saturday (and into Sunday). She had a high fever and a lot of aches. Saturday evening she couldn’t move her head because her neck was so sore. This is a Meningitis red flag (saw it on Oprah and Honey was quick to remind me) so I called the nurse and she decided that it would be best to have Ava seen by the doctor. Honey and Papa were kind enough to sit with Lincoln so Chris and I could go with Ava. We checked in at 9:17 p.m. and didn’t get home until 1 a.m. They tested her for Meningitis, the flu and a UTI. Let me make one thing very clear, I never want to have Ava tested for a UTI again until she can hold her own cup for a urine sample. Yeah. Not cool. Anyway, everything came back fine. They chalked it up to a viral infection and sent us on our way…four hours later. The poor kid was so sick and so tired and we were successful in keeping her awake long enough to see the doctor. She did throw up though while we were waiting for Mr. M.D. Unfortunately, she fell asleep before the nurses came in to take blood. Needless to say, this simple procedure turned into a traumatic nightmare for Ava since she was awakened from her peaceful slumber to be told that she was going to be pricked with a needle and then forced to eat a popsicle. Who knew it would be such a struggle to convince a three-year-old that she must eat a grape popsicle or else? She wasn’t pleased. After all that ER commotion and worry Ava woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed the next morning and feeling great! Aren’t kids grand?


































(Yes, the camera goes everywhere. It lives in my bag).


It’s a good thing Ava was feeling better because Uncle Ryan was in town for a visit. You’d think Ava won the lottery when she saw Ryan! She was so excited to drag him around the house and boss him around.















Lincoln had his 9-month appointment today and he’s in good shape. He weighs 21 pounds 8 ounces (65th %) and is 30.5 inches long (97th %). The only shot he got today was his flu shot. His next round of shots happens at 12 months. He's still working on the crawling business. He waves randomly at random people. He's a clap-a-holic too. He loves his Mommy's cooking (makes me happy). He's so super easy and laid back. Ava also had a mini-physical today and she’s also in good shape. She weighs 33 pounds 8 ounces (58th %) and is 3 feet 2 inches tall (41st %). Ava also got her flu shot today. Both kids were great at the doctor’s office. Ava chatted up a storm with the nurse talking about becoming an adult some day. I’m shocked by how much Ava has changed already this year. She’s not the shy little girl she used to be.


After the doctor visit we made our way to Ava’s new school where she met her teacher and played in her classroom for a bit. Ava’s teacher gave Ava the grand tour and then Ava was allowed to play by herself while the teacher and I talked – the very first thing her teacher said to me was, “My, she’s so outgoing!” I threw my hands in the air and said, “Who knew?!” I’m telling you, this is not the same Ava from 6 months ago… Anyway, Ava was excited about her teacher and the school.


OK, this is funny. Before Honey went back to work, we took the kids out shopping one afternoon. We walked into a store and when I turned around I saw Honey discreetly taking a picture of Ava with her iPhone. Check this out…



















Priceless. She tried on every single bra she could get her hands on - the black lace was my favorite.

And, really, Linc is going to crawl any day now. He has been getting on all fours for a couple days...














Well, I must now go sit and wait for the funk to enter my system...

2 comments:

Courtney said...

The bra shot is too cute. Linc is growing so fast!! Be sure to catch a video of him crawling!

Lindsey Fescoe said...

I hope all that yuck sickness gets out of your house soon!

and I heard the meningitis thing too, I tend to freak out anytime my neck hurts at all!