Thursday, October 22, 2009

Hodgepodge

Just about every day I think about something I can blog about. Sometimes I don't have the time or the energy to blog and the result is that these blog-less days add up. When I do finally sit down to try to make sense of it all it seems to me like a monotonous smorgasbord of "stuff." This is precisely what has happened this week. So, brace yourself for the jumbled hodgepodge that is below...

-Chris got home last night after a couple nights away in MD for work. It was an exciting trip for him because he was back in our old stomping grounds. He even drove past our old house! He said that it looks exactly the same. The highlight of his trip was visiting our good friends who still live up there. Jon and Chris have been friends since high school. When we lived up there we used to spend hours upon hours together debating the ways of the world and having in-depth and enlightening conversations over Becky's delicious food. I really miss those times. Now Jon and Becky have three beautiful children and I'd be lying if I said I'm not a smidge jealous that Chris got to spend time with them. I can't believe how much can change in three short years! Unfortunately, Chris' trip was quick and packed with work-meetings and dinners so he didn't have a chance to catch up with anyone else. I really hope that we get to take a family trip up there in the near future... Here's a picture of the two buds that Becky shared with me...













- The other day Ava received a letter in the mail from THE WHITE HOUSE! Remember this? (hyperlink alert) We were hoping that she would get a hand-written letter from the President himself seeing as how he supposedly personally replies to 10 letters a day. I guess her card didn't make it to his desk but she did get this letter and that's still pretty cool! I'd like to note that the letter was typed on recycled paper.



















- We're still enjoying fun outings! The weather has been beautiful this week so we haven't spent too much time inside. I'm trying to get as much fresh air as possible before it gets too cold.

Linc before the park...














Linc after the park...














Ava and her friends... (thanks for the picture, Kim)














- Ninny mailed a fun package to Ava the other day! She's enjoying the jewelry and hair clips but I think she was most excited for the Mickey & Minnie and Tinkerbell pillowcases :-) These used to be Zsa Zsa's and Ninny recently re-discovered them during a linen closet purge. On one side of the pillow case Mickey & Minnie are sleeping (see pic below) and on the other side they're awake (eyes are open). Ava flips the pillows depending on the time of day. I've noticed that when she goes to bed she flips each pillow so that Mickey & Minnie are sleeping and in the morning when I go in her room Mickey & Minnie are awake. So clever. Thanks, Ninny!














- This cracks me up! Over the weekend Ava, myself and Honey enjoyed a fun girl's day out. Ava got a DQ Brownie Batter Blizzard and got to ride in the Mall's version of a rent-a-stroller which was a cute red race car! When we were walking through a department store Ava found two mannequins and asked Honey if she would take her picture with them... Honey asked Ava if they were her friends and Ava replied in a serious tone of voice, "Yes." So strange.




















Finally, yesterday a couple of the ladies I used to work with came over for lunch. We try to do this once a month. One of them had to go back to work and the other decided to go to the park with me and the kids. She was pushing Ava on the swing and trying to teach her how to pump herself in the swing. She was instructing Ava, "Pump your legs! Towards me and now back!" After a couple minutes of this Ava piped up and said, "Mommy, this is just like pumping your privates for milk for a baby!" I was actually speechless. Truly. I had to contain my true reaction because I didn't want to encourage Ava but at the same time I don't want to discourage her. She was so proud of herself for making the connection. All I can say is that I'm relieved I was with my friend who has raised two kids already and who has a superb sense of humor! And people wonder why I get nervous whenever she starts to share a story...

0 comments: