If you’re reading this blog then you probably know me well enough to know that I have zero tolerance for “drama.” Let’s just say that our little diva tests my patience in this area quite often, especially when it comes to injuries…no matter how minute the wound.
Exhibit A, folks:
This morning we played at the big park and had a lovely time. On our way back to the car Ava tripped and scraped her knee, again. It bled but really not a big deal. I gave her sympathy, hugs and assurance. Then I listened to her sob the whole way to the car, the whole time I got everyone situated in the car, the whole drive home, the whole way back into the house and the whole time it took to clean her up (so maybe I'm being a little dramatic). This wound required a shower because she was covered in sun block and sweat and then she fell in sand. Ick. I maintained a divine level of patience, good humor and even creativity. Make no mistake about it, I’m definitely tooting my own horn here.
Ava wasn’t amused by all my creative antics and she just kept sobbing (sans tears, mind you) as I dried her off and brushed her hair. Lincoln and I both had about all we could handle. Lincoln was becoming emotional himself after listening to her performance for so long. Finally, Nurse Hippo informed me, Doctor Mommy, that we were going to have to amputate Patient Ava’s leg if it was causing her enough grief to continue carrying on the way she had been for an hour. I leveled with Nurse Hippo and explained that Patient Ava is much too young for such extreme measures. Miraculously, peace was instantly restored. The crying ceased. Like magic.
I only use Uncle Jeff Scare Tactics as a last resort, but man, they work beautifully every time.
Ava still has both of her legs. However, she’s carrying on with her tragic performance in other ways. She walks around the house like a 98 year-old-woman. I caught this video of her – clutching a stuffed animal (one which she’s never given the time of day to until after her accident) and trying to strategically sit on the floor to play with Lincoln’s baby toys. Seriously, we’re reverting back to baby toys during this sensitive and painful healing process? Oh my…to be three years old again…
I’m pleased to say that she’s presently enjoying a well-deserved siesta. I think I’ll start picking out my well-deserved wine of choice for tonight…
Despite all the unnecessary drama, she's still awfully precious :-)
Keeping Your Flowers Fresh
9 years ago

6 comments:
Seriously?
It made me laugh out loud. We seriously have a "Princess & the Pea" on our hands. Or a Frankenstein's monster... IT'S ALIVVVVVE!
That video was hysterical! She is such a little drama queen.
but Michelle, she's a princess, and princesses aren't supposed to scrape their knees :( poor little darling
Lindsey - You're right, she IS a princess... ;-)
Court - On the princess note, I'll have you know that today Ava insisted on wearing her black dress shoes (with the outfit she's wearing in the video...yeah) because Zsa Zsa told her that tennis shoes make her look like a boy. Mmmhmm....
Savannah and I laughed and laughed because when she was little I used to say I had to carry around a morphine drip in my purse for such minute injuries as a hang nail...Heads up.. they don't grow out of this.. She has already asked her cousin Hailee to birth her children.....That was too cute...
I never told her tennis shoes make her look like a boy, lies! I maybe once mentioned that they were only appropriate with certain outfits..
Post a Comment