Ava seems to be enjoying her summer. She likes going for walks to the park, playing in the Fairy Garden and swimming. She’s becoming much more confident in the water – with her floatie vest and noodle, of course. This morning Ava asked me if we could go to Busch Gardens, she likes it there too. Little does Ava know that her summer is coming to an end soon. She starts pre-school next month, just 2 half days a week.
When we’re not playing outside, Ava spends her time playing inside with her imagination. She transforms the dining room table into a submarine, the couch often becomes a sailboat and everything from a cotton ball to a tomato becomes a baby. We’re always on the run from “big monsters” too. Thankfully, Ava has earned my childhood nickname, Cinderella, and she thoroughly cleans up when she’s done playing.
Ava has to be one of the most compassionate people I know. She is so concerned about the world around her as well as other people’s feelings. While quietly brushing her teeth the other night before bed she randomly said, “Mama, I love you.” If she sees a deer on the side of the road then she becomes very concerned and immediately starts making big plans to nurse it back to health – usually includes Hello Kitty Band Aids, hugs from Ava and the deer’s Mommy. I found a lot of snails in the garden one day after a rainstorm and I showed them to Ava. We briefly discussed their habitat, food preferences and color (or lack there of). I moved on and continued to weed, when I glanced over my shoulder a few minutes later I found Ava feeding the snails “bite size” pieces of dead leaves that she tore apart for them. She said she thought that they looked hungry. It’s not just the way she’s always thinking rather it’s the calm, sweet voice she uses while executing her kindhearted tasks.
For a couple days each month Ava ventures over to the Dark Side. I really think she’s already hormonal at three years of age. She even shows her teeth when she really gets going. Oddly enough, she’s also nutty about chocolate during those “times.” Unfortunately for Chris and Lincoln, Ava and I sometimes venture to the Dark Side together at the same time of the month. Ava usually threatens, “I’m going to get in the car by myself and drive away!” Other times it’s, “I’m going to put you in the trash!” But it’s always a lot of “No!” This past week she made a comment to me like, “I don’t like you. I want a different Mommy!” during one of her fits. In return I offered to drive her to the Mommy Store so she could pick out a new one. After pondering the proposition for a minute she came around and decided that she’s happy with her current Mommy model. She didn’t complain much after that.
Our two biggest dilemmas right now are naps and hair. I think that Ava is still hanging onto her nap but sometimes letting go of it. It depends on the day, really. It’s a tough call for me each day. If I miss the opportunity then that could lead to a really difficult night. On the other hand, if I push a nap and it’s not necessary then it just leads to a stressful couple of hours. We’re working it out either way. Then there is the hair issue. Ava refuses to let me do anything to her hair. I can’t put a clip in it much less a ponytail or a braid. I didn’t understand the issue until recently when Ava finally explained her reasoning to Honey. You ready for this? Ava won’t let us put anything in her hair because “Princesses always wear their hair down and sometimes with curls.” Finally! An answer! You better believe I point out every princess with buns, braids and ponytails now. Hasn’t worked yet…she rips the barrettes and bands out as soon as I turn my back.
Finally, Ava is still full of fun comments. The other day she politely thanked me for something and I decided to Pop Quiz her. “Ava, how do you say ‘thank you’ in Spanish?” I asked her. She claimed that she didn’t know. I urged her to try anyway. She gave it some thought and came up with, “Asparagus!” I guess it sounds like “Gracias.” One more… It was past Lincoln’s bedtime and he was understandably fussy. Ava marched over to Lincoln and said, “Linc, you better stop crying or Uncle Jeff will eat your leg off!”
On with the pictures…
Lincoln is 8 months tomorrow and his update will come then.


4 comments:
Aww :)
I like the green!
LOVE the princess hair comment, hehe. Preschool sounds exciting too!
I love the picture of you and the kids-- you look very pretty in it! Ava is right though, princesses wear crowns, ponytails are for peasants.
Aww, thanks Court!
Peasants wear ponytails, hmph! ;-)
Post a Comment