A long time ago I learned on Food Network, and I'm sure this isn't a surprise to many, that purchasing in season produce costs less money. Since then I've learned that not only is in season produce easier on the pocket but it's also much more nutritious and better for the environment.
The website, Eat The Seasons, takes the guess work out of which fruits and veggies to purchase at the store each week. Very exciting indeed!
If you really want to love your planet and do your body a favor, take it a step further and be a Locavore. This is the practice of eating locally harvested, seasonal produce. An excerpt from my book, Healthy Child Healthy World by Christopher Gavigan, "Local food generally uses less packaging, comes in more varieties, and, quite frankly, tastes amazing. We sometimes forget the knee-buckling delight that we get from fresh picked blueberries or melons or corn. 'Know your farmer, know your food.'"
I'm going to dismount my pedestal now. I'll remount when I come across another interesting tidbit of information that I think the loyal blog-readers would like to learn about.
Also, does anyone know how to underline text in Blogger? I know the book title should be underlined but I don't see that option anywhere...

1 comments:
Cool stuff, thanks for sharing! :)
Post a Comment