Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Linc's Adventure

Kids.  They're crazy.  They take years off my life...

I go to book club one night a month and that's pretty much my only adult social time.  I cherish it.  Sometimes we treat ourselves and our group meets at a restaurant, rather than at one of our houses.  Yeah, we keep it fresh.  This month we met at a restaurant and it was a gorgeous evening so we sat on the outdoor patio and there was live music.  It was lovely and I had a delicious glass of red wine.  Shortly after catching up with the ladies, and two sips into my wine, my cell phone vibrated.  I saw it was Chris calling.  I answered and immediately heard Lincoln wailing in the background.  Chris had a strained voice and quickly explained that he thought Lincoln knocked his tooth out.  My heart sank.  I was certain everything would be fine but my heart ached because I wasn't there to rock my baby and tell him it would be OK.  I jumped up from the table, quickly explained the situation to the ladies, and ran to my car.  Luckily, I was only two miles from home.  

When I walked in the door Linc was upset and wanted me to hold him.  Ava was crying.  Chris explained what happened.  Apparently, Linc fell in the kitchen.  Chris didn't see exactly how he fell as he was locking the front door or something.  We looked at Linc's tooth and it was still attached, just pushed up and back.  Then our friend, who happens to be a dentist, called my cell phone.  I'd forgotten that I was at book club with his wife and she called him when I was darting home.  Hooray for awesome friends!  He was at home putting his four kids to bed but suggested that I bring Linc over so he could look at his tooth.  

Now it's somewhere around 8:30 p.m. and Linc and I were making our way over to our friend's house.  Linc was a champ and let Dr. Fuller look in his mouth and try to push his tooth back into place.  Unfortunately, his tooth wouldn't budge so Dr. Fuller decided that we needed to get an x-ray immediately.  So, he called his wife home early from book club so he could take us to the office.  It was quite the adventure.  

Now it's somewhere around 9:30 p.m. and Linc is exhausted but being such a good boy and we're at the dentist's office.  The x-ray didn't show any bone damage so we scheduled a follow-up appointment, gave many many thanks to Dr. Fuller and drove home.  

Ava wanted to wait up for us because she was so worried about Linc so she and Chris greeted us when we got home.  As I filled them in on our adventure, Chris rocked Linc and the poor baby passed out.  Chris felt awful.  Just terrible.  He was so upset that he couldn't prevent the whole thing from happening.  Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long for it to happen!  Linc is crazy.  It's a wonder he hasn't broken a bone or lost an eye yet.

It's been a couple weeks and Linc's doing great!  It hasn't slowed him down at all.  We're keeping him on a soft diet per the dentist's orders.  Thankfully, Linc is a good eater so it hasn't been a problem.  We're glad it was just a tooth and not something more serious.  Regardless, I'm sure this incident still took a couple years off our lives.  Kids.  They're crazy.

Next month I'm going to encase the kids in a bubble before I leave for my book club meeting.
       

Linc's tooth - the morning after...


A picture that Linc drew of his "broken tooth" and "tears" on his cheeks...


 This picture was taken about a week after and his tooth looks much better...


Follow-up appointment at the dentist's office...


 Thank-you card that Linc made for the dentist (with a lot of help from Mom and Honey, mostly Honey)...


0 comments: