Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mission Impossible

If you've been following this blog then you know that Ava is obsessed with dogs and has been desperately wanting one of her own. Hmm, who does that remind me of? Anyway, we've all missed Aspen since we gave her to another family and the thought of another dog has been on my mind ever since. Each time Chris and I talk about our future I'm always secretly wondering when and where a dog will fit into the mix. There are so many unknowns for our future right now so this became horribly frustrating to me. Mission impossible. Then I had Ava constantly asking for a dog - at LEAST five times a day! I guess you could say she broke me down (wasn't hard). My ultimate breaking point occurred last weekend during Courtney's graduation party. I blame Chris' family and I'm pretty sure they're OK with this. They're fellow dog lovers, like myself, and they traveled up to NC and they brought their dogs. Only thing is, they have little dogs. Ahhh, a little dog! *ding* Light bulb moment! I've always proudly proclaimed that I'm not a little dog person but then I spent some time with Pogo and I saw how well behaved Candy is. Hmmm. A little dog. Ava just adored Pogo, he is just her size. He's the perfect travel size. He doesn't shed. Pretty good deal, right? Yeah, except Chris wasn't going for any of this. When we got home I did my research and learned that most little dogs are indeed perfect family dogs. I looked into rescuing a small dog but I quickly noticed that most of the dogs in shelters are undesirable breeds (pit bulls, beagles, etc.) or they're much older (medical costs). I started looking for breeders and I talked with a few. Chris and I talked about it and then we talked about it some more because it was important to me that Chris be on board. We finally reached an agreement and so the search for a little dog for our family was ON! We decided to surprise Ava so we kept the whole thing under wraps. **Cue Mission Impossible music**

I found a three-month-old pup in Cary, NC. He's a Yohcon which is a Yorkie/Bechon mix. He shouldn't exceed ten pounds when full grown and he's hypoallergenic/non-shedding. I jumped on it! After only two days and several phone conversations with his breeder I hopped in the car at 5 a.m. to drive to Cary, NC and pick up our new baby boy! Conveniently, Courtney lives 20 minutes from the breeder so I stopped to pick her up first :-) We melted. Just melted into a puddle on the floor. He's so sweet. I couldn't wait to get him home to surprise Ava! On the way back we made a pit-stop at Courtney's apartment to give him a bath because he didn't smell as lovely as he looked and we didn't want that to be the first thing Ava noticed. The poor pup looks like a rat when he's all wet. He's so tiny. He didn't make a sound on the way home - no whimpers or barks.

When I got close to home I called Chris so he could take Ava to the backyard (Linc was napping) so I could let the pup get settled before meeting Ava. I walked outside and Ava was happy that I was home. Chris ran inside and assumed his position with the video camera. I told Ava that her Daddy and I have a surprise for her and with that she walked into the house and met her dog for the very first time. She was shocked! She just said, "A DOG?!" Then she asked, "Do I get to save him?" That was her way of asking if we're keeping him. Next she starting worrying about logistics, "...but we don't have dog food or a dog bed or dog toys..." Typical Ava. Honey & Papa graciously put Ava's mind at ease by taking her and her new dog to PetSmart that evening to pick out everything a dog could ever want.

Ava named her new dog Louis ("Loo-ie") Leaf. He's 15 weeks old. Ava just adores him and they have a morning play ritual already. He's perfectly content snuggled on her lap and he enjoys going for walks with her as well. He's an extraordinarily laid back dog and so super sweet. He truly likes children and he walks around the house in the morning just waiting for the kids to wake up. As soon as Ava & Lincoln are downstairs he perks up. He's doing really well with walking on a leash. He's making progress with the potty and crate training. He rarely ever barks. Ava and I brought him to the vet today and he did really well. He weighs 3 pounds 11 ounces. It's nice to have a friendly and not overly excited/hyper-active dog. Hopefully we can keep him happy and balanced. I think we lucked out with him but time will tell...

Here are some pictures...

He's cute even when he's panting..


This is moments after they met each other for the first time...




Snuggle bums...


Shopping trip...


Don't let Chris fool you, he's buds with Louis...

This small dog rocks!

5 comments:

CLO said...

Oh my, that almost made me cry. I'm so happy that your family has a dog and that Ava is so happy about it! He's so precious, too, which doesn't help the nearly crying part! :) Can't wait to hear all of your Louis stories.

Lindsey Fescoe said...

YAY for Louis!!!

DiDi's Blog said...

I think you picked the perfect pup! The bischon is loyal and protective and the yorkie energetic and playful! John said to tell Chris the poops are smaller too! Way to go Ava, you are a true pack leader!! Great pictures..

Kelly Reece said...

You know how pets look like their owners... okay? Alright, this is totally one of those situations. I mean, if you look at pictures of Ava and her super camera moments and then look at little Louis, you'll see it. The overly ridiculous cuteness, like when couples are so cute it's annoying in a good way kinda cute. Am I going too far with this? Are we making the connection here? Is my belly too full from Bonefish and I'm saying weird things b/c of it? Hmmmmm....

Mindy said...

Must be the age because Mikaela has been working on her daddy for a little dog as well. She saw Louis and oh boy she was hooked.Thank you Michelle!! j/k She has been begging

Mikaela has asked several times when are we going back to that place with Olivia ( aka Ava) because she needs to hug her doggie