Monday, April 11, 2011

Terrible Two's

If I recall correctly, we didn't go through the Terrible Two's with Ava, rather, we went through the Terrible Three's with her...and they weren't that terrible. As is usually the case, Lincoln is doing things his way. He has opted to jump the gun and move forward with the Terrible Two's instead of waiting for the Terrible Three's. I wasn't ready though...I'm still not ready...I don't think any of us are!

For the most part he's an agreeable young boy. [Or maybe I just feel like that's the politically correct way to begin this paragraph of what some might translate as negativity.] However, he has opinions and ideas and his own sense of time. [This is what we want for our children, right?] He likes things to go as he has planned. [That's how I operate, too.] For instance, when he wakes up in the morning and his diaper has overflowed and his bed and pajamas are wet [and smelling exactly like a hamster cage] he would prefer to waddle over to his train table and "play" instead of rinsing off and changing into a clean diaper and clean clothing and then playing. He thinks I'm crazy for suggesting my seemingly sane plan of cleaning off first. We talk through a lot of stuff and this has almost always worked with Ava but seven times out of ten it does not work for Lincoln. If he doesn't want to cooperate on his own and I end up having to pick him up to proceed with the/my sane plan then he inevitably, and understandably, begins the kicking and yelling tantrum which makes cleaning and dressing nearly impossible (and really stressful).

One of Lincoln's more common phrases is, "No! My do!" as he is continuing to exert his independence. He has to do everything for himself these days. Everything. It can take a two-year-old a really long time to make Risotto with Butternut Squash for dinner...

Talking on the phone is a thing of the past. It is when I begin a conversation on the phone that Lincoln passes the time by hurdling his cars toward the grandfather clock or the fireplace.

Apparently tormenting your sister is all the rage these days. Poor Ava. She really puts up with a lot from her brother. Actually, she doesn't usually put up with it. She complains. Then she complains even louder. Perhaps I'll pursue a career in Conflict Resolution after this gig...

Despite all his little two-year-old quirks, Linc is still the most adorable and lovable little boy we've ever known! Therefore, we've decided to keep him and ride out this phase.

1 comments:

DiDi's Blog said...

He really looks like he's pleading his case in this picture...This too shall pass for something new and exciting...