Thursday, March 3, 2011

Fun with Food

A while back Ava declared that she no longer eats red meat. Actually, it was more of a whisper. It was as if she was afraid that her decision wouldn't be accepted. Whatever! It wasn't a surprise to us, we've seen it coming for some time. I explained to her that if she's going to cut red meat out of her diet that she'll need to find other sources of iron and protein. She agreed to keep her picky eating habits at bay. I checked out a book at the library about feeding self-proclaimed vegetarian children and it's wonderful! It's like a breath of fresh air! I've been re-inspired! It's amazing how quickly I fall into kid-approved meal ruts; I don't care to make another batch of macaroni and cheese or chicken nuggets for a while. Also, I believe that it's important to introduce children to a variety of foods and flavors from a young age. I think I've been fairly successful with the palate development thing by encouraging the kids to try whatever it is that Chris and I are eating. They're both usually willing and anxious to try new food. Anyway, I've enjoyed the new cook book and the kids have been excited to try new variations of grilled cheese and new meal ideas altogether like lettuce wraps. Both kids love to help in the kitchen (which can sometimes be stressful) so I welcome their company and do my best to find age appropriate jobs for them. Today, while preparing the ingredients for their lettuce wrap lunch I decided to bring the meal-making experience to them. It was so much fun! We set up a "make your own lettuce wrap" buffet. It was a huge hit and they both willingly chowed down on lettuce wraps until they were about to burst. Sometimes these ideas play out better in my head so I'm beyond thrilled when they actually work as planned!




2 comments:

Courtney said...

Love lettuce wraps! What did they put in them?

Michelle said...

Court - they were so simple (which was the point, after all). The recipe called for hummus (w/ chopped red pepper added), shredded carrots and shredded cucumbers. Easy and delish!